Saturday, May 4, 2013

Howdy to Konichiwa

Hello! Lot's of friends and family have asked to know more about Luke's first ever solo trip (to Japan!) so we decided it would be easiest to create a blog to share his adventures.

We'll do our best to keep you posted on his trip!

This all started a few months ago, or actually... come to think of it... many years ago.

Luke's Dad, Eric, worked for several years with a Japanese circuit board company. The owners, Katsuzo and Mariko Suzuki are some of the nicest, most generous people you can imagine. They became like family to us. Eric was their sole US sales rep. He travelled to Japan a great deal during that time and grew to love the people, the place and the culture very much.

Whenever he travelled, he always came home with lots of funny Japanese candy, curry packets to try, and little Japanese trinkets for us. Very soon, we were ALL wanting to see Japan for ourselves.

Five years ago, Eric cashed in his frequent flier miles and sent me, Stefani, and my mom Julie to Japan. It was the first time that I ever had a passport! Being in Japan was life changing for me. I learned, saw and loved so much about that incredible country. Right then and there I decided that I wanted my kids to someday experience it.

Flash forward to a few months back, when Mariko and Suzuki san came for a short visit to Austin. They asked if perhaps Luke might like to visit them in the spring.

That boy of mine, once so very shy, jumped at the chance! Without any hesitation at all, he said yes, he would love to go. I had just a little more hesitation about the idea... okay a lot... but I knew that this would be such a broadening experience for him. He's a great kid - responsible, diligent, trustworthy and capable. I knew he could do this and the time was right.

From that moment forward, Luke was making Japanese flash cards and studying up on their culture. We reserved his tickets and got his passport and began counting days. The time just flew by, and before I knew it, it was time to get him packed and ready.

This is the story of how Luke went from Howdy to Konichiwa!


No comments:

Post a Comment